Kindergarten I (age 4+)
A Developmental Program:
In our Kindergarten I Class, all children are immersed in a fun and academically challenging, yet developmentally appropriate, learning environment designed especially for 4 year olds turning 5 and young 5 year olds.
Our Kindergarten I class is offered on a full day basis and runs from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. We also offer affordable before and aftercare. Click here to learn more about our Before/After the School Bell program.
Our Kindergarten I Class is curious and excited to have lots of fun while learning! Through our research-based curriculum, caring teachers, special afternoon classes, and individualized support, your child will grow their love of learning! Academics include the instruction of writing, phonics, reading readiness, phonemic awareness, math, science and social studies. Specials include Acting, Violin, Music Class, Chinese Class, Gardening, and more! With the individualized attention each student receives, and the amazing Ms. Sullivan leading the way, our 4-5 year old students are confident, growing in their independence, and ready for their next adventure!
Some highlights of the program:
- Daily Schedule
8:30-8:45 Arrival/Free Choice 8:45-9:00 Opening Group 9:05-9:10 Make Believe Play Practice 9:10-9:25 Play Planning 9:25-10:25 Play in Centers 10:25-10:45 Snack 10:50- 11:05 Large Group Literacy-
Alternating Buddy Reading/Graphics Practice
11:05-11:45 P.E. 11L45-12:15 Lunch 12:15-1:15 Nap/Quiet Activities 1:15-1:45 Manipulatives/Puzzles 1:45-2:05 Small Group Rotations (literacy+math/science or S.S.) 2:05-2:15 Share the News 2:15-2:45 Free Choice Centers (Pull Out for Writing Instruction) 2:45-3:15 Specials: Music, Art, physical education, Mandarin Chinese, Spanish, and Acting 3:15-3:30 Snack/Dismissal
- Our KI class uses manipulatives, investigating by experimenting and showing understanding through creative expression are integrated in to the academic program.
- This gives all children the time they need to fully acquire the skills they are learning. In the full-day Kindergarten I program the children will also have instruction in music, art, physical education, Mandarin Chinese and Spanish.
- These programs are included in the full day tuition. Our KI children leave with exceptional skill development in literacy and math and the confidence to perform well in either or KII or a formal Kindergarten Program.
Our KI teacher Miss Laura Sullivan uses the outstanding curriculum of Tools of the Mind along with supplementary programs that allow for additional support to enhance our program. Miss Sullivan has a degree in Early Childhood Education and she is trained in the curriculum of Tools of the Mind. Click here to learn about Ms. Sullivan
Children have the engage in a learning environment that is customized for their level where they have the opportunity to plan, make choices, and build friendships. Click here to request more information about our Preschool I program.
Kindergarten II (age 5+)
A Developmental Program:
Our Kindergarten II program is offered to 5 year olds and young 6 year olds.
Our Kindergarten II class is offered on a full- day basis. The full-day Kindergarten II runs from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Our programs are customizable to fit your family’s needs. We also offer affordable before and aftercare. Click here to learn more about our Before/After the School Bell program.
Like Kindergarten I, the Kindergarten II program is taught by a state certified teacher with a minimum of a BS in ECE/El Ed.
- The class size will be limited to 15 children with a teacher and an instructional aide. The curriculum in the Kindergarten II program will lay a thorough foundation for the academic demands of first grade. Our academic program will provide instruction in writing, phonics, phonemic awareness, reading, math, science and social studies.
- During this year of instruction, the children will still use manipulatives and experiment through observation; however, they will begin to use connecting-level skills that will prepare them for the more abstract skills required in first grade and beyond.
- Children will be guided through individual conferences, guided reading instruction and small group and whole group instruction using an integrated thematic teaching approach. They will also have art, physical education, music, and instruction in computers and foreign language.
- Additional enrichment programs for the Kindergarten II program include a continuation of our Intergenerational and Conflict Resolution/Anti-Bullying Programs, responsibility for maintaining our shared garden and participation in our Mini-Court Program. Our Atelier (central studio) provides the children with a place to create and showcase their artwork and projects utilizing the Reggio Emilia philosophy.
The Kindergarten I teacher is Mrs. Judy Serra, head of school and a educator with over 20 years of experience. Click to learn about Mrs. Serra
Our Kindergarten II program arouses the curiosity and excitement of learning while providing them a solid foundation for a lifetime of learning. Click here to request more information about our Kindergarten II program.
I want to thank you for being one to have taught me the skills I have needed to be successful in school since leaving Kindergarten. I recognize the importance of a solid foundational education in a child’s personal and academic development, and I would not have had that if it were not for you and the other teachers I came to know at Whitehouse School. I appreciate and admire the passion for early childhood education that you displayed in helping me grow into the person I am today, and that you continue to exemplify at Whitehouse Prep.
– Taylor C., Former Student of Judy Serra
Best decision we could have made for our son!
– Trish Lorusso Warrington
Loved the play the children put on for the parents and Grandparents…Cayden has learned so much at Whitehouse Prep. What a wonderful environment for children. Three cheers to all!
– Bonnie Dilgard
A diamond in the rough! This was the best decision I’ve made enrolling my 2 kids in WHP! Best private school in Hunterdon County.