Why Whitehouse Prep?
It is hard to sum up our school in a few bullets. With our amazing families, happy children, and teachers and staff that go above and beyond, our school community has one goal in mind: to offer the best learning experience for our children in their formative years. Here are a few reasons to consider Whitehouse prep as your child’s preschool or Kindergarten:
- Fun and enjoyable curriculum that challenges and motivates each child while fostering a true and genuine love of learning. The curriculum we use is the research based and NAEYC endorsed program Tools of the Mind.
- Our programs go beyond the classroom environment and integrates music, language, arts, theater, physical education, gardening, and many more special programs to create a well-rounded learning environment. Learn more about our programs.
- We have a wonderful before and after school program that meets the scheduling needs of our families. Learn more about our Before & After the School Bell Program.
- Our programs are taught by experienced, state Certified teachers, all of whom provide high quality instruction that educate the whole child, each mind in its own time. Our teachers all have Bachelor’s Degrees, are specialized in the age they teach, and have Tools of the Mind Curriculum training. Our teachers are the heart of our school, whose primary focus is to connect with each child and help them reach their fullest potential. Learn more about our teachers.
- We have a wide range of extra-curricular activities including Dance, Karate, Sports, and Music Notes Academy to make it easy for families to make one stop for their child’s learning.
Why I Chose Tools of the Mind?
by Judy Serra, Head of School
See Why Judy Serra chose this curriculum for WHP over other options at a Preschool Curriculum Showcase
In November of 2014, I attended a Director’s Showcase of New Jersey Preschool Curriculum sponsored by Grow NJ Kids-the NJ State Initiative aiming to improve early education standards in Preschools. Three different types of curriculum were introduced to Preschool directors. I attended the first workshop that outlined the first curriculum, and saw right away it was not thorough enough for Whitehouse Prep. Next, I attended the second curriculum overview- it was satisfactory, but it was not a program that I was excited about implementing. Finally I attended the Tools of the Mind presentation and I realized that this curriculum was something special-it was a program that would help develop the love of learning that our children deserve.
As I listened to the Tools of the Mind presentation, I became truly excited to implement the curriculum into our school. I could not wait to get my teachers trained in the program. I had been teaching kindergarten for 30 years and had never seen a more well-rounded, multi-faceted curriculum. For example, I was always searching for that program that could teach writing in a playful, fun way to 2 1/2 years old children – Tools of the Mind did that and more!
Tools of the Mind truly combined learning, fun, and life skills through its activities. The students are immersed in:
- Scaffolded Writing
- Play Planning
- Buddy Reading
- Message of the Day
- Story Lab
- Write to Read
When my teachers attended the trainings for Tools of the Mind-they were also inspired and were looking forward to implementing this cutting-edge educational program in their classes. Only teachers with a Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education could truly appreciate a curriculum that does as much as Tools of the Mind.
Whitehouse Prep has become the Pilot Preschool Program for Tools of the Mind for the entire state of NJ. Other schools will follow our path in getting trained and implementing the program to fidelity. We love Tools of the Mind and our children do too! We are growing confident readers and writers because of the playful yet thorough curriculum. It was the best decision that I have ever made.
- At Whitehouse Preparatory School, we believe that all children are endowed with unique gifts and qualities that, if properly nurtured, will allow them to excel and achieve wonderful things in life.
- In this respect, education is more than simply imparting information and skills from teacher to student; rather, true education is seen as a two-way process whereby the teacher serves as the catalyst for drawing out of her students their unique qualities and abilities. The teacher, in effect, serves as a facilitator who works alongside each student, much like a coach who gently encourages an athlete to perform to his or her fullest potential.
- This process of drawing out a child’s unique qualities is accomplished best by sparking within each student his or her own passions and by allowing them to discover and embrace their own creativity.